Writing History Letter
Due: Friday, January 22 at 4 pm CT on TCU Online
Please type an informal letter to me, which should be about 500 words.
Introduce yourself (where you’re from, major, interests, and/or other details you want to share). Describe your history as a writer and share goals for what’s ahead in the course. Below are some questions to help guide you (you are not expected to answer all of these; pick a few from the list that most apply to you). At the end of your letter, let me know if you have any questions regarding the syllabus or anything discussed in our first class.
- Omitting "academic" writing, what kind of writing do you primarily do now (social media, gaming, blogging, texting, etc.)?
- What do you think are your main strengths as a writer? Why do you think so? What do you think are your main challenges as a writer? Why do you think so?
- Who is a role model for your writing? If you don't have one, where can you look for one?
- Who has influenced how or what you write (in either a negative or positive way)?
- How do you use technology when you compose? How comfortable are you with the technology you use for composing?
- What strategies or process do you use when you write and where did you learn them? Do you use the same strategies for anything you write/compose, or do they differ depending on what/whom you’re writing for? What are these differences? Do you always write on a computer/tablet/phone?
- What goals do you have for your writing this semester? Think beyond what grade you want to earn in the class or about basic skills like grammar and punctuation. Consider larger goals such as starting early, staying organized, getting feedback, time management, etc.)? How will you remind yourself of these goals? How will you know when you’ve achieved your goals?